Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jonty Rhodes: Indian grounds not fit for diving

Posted by Admin On 12:25 PM


Former South Africa star and Mumbai Indians fielding coach, Jonty Rhodes, has said the Indian grounds need to be better to get better fielding standards. He said:Some grounds are quite dangerous and the circumstances need to get better. That's almost certainly the reason why young players are hesitant to dive around.
Obviously, if the grounds were in bad shape, then even I wouldn't have dived either. A proper place is essential to learn all this,Rhodes said during the launch of Omtex Jonty's Way at the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai on Wednesday.
Most youngsters fall on their knees while diving, which is dangerous. You have to be fully dedicated and go flat out while diving because then, the chances of getting injured are less,the 42-year-old said.
Rhodes has committed to devote 45-60 days in India with the academy. Jonty will train the coaches, who will, in turn, impart skills to the players. A nominal training fee will be charged to aspiring coaches and cricketers. The Mumbai Indians fielding coach aims to make fielding fun.
It is important that players learn the right fielding techniques at an early age as it is complicated to change them later. The youngsters focus a lot on their batting and bowling, but ignore fielding. I have to literally fetch them for fielding drills. My idea is to make fielding fun. I am not expecting them to be like me, but I am hoping they become the best,he said.
He related his own example to explain its significance, saying,I was an average batsman, but my selection in the 1992 World Cup team was purely on my field exploits. Fielding can help extremely in your selection. I used all the sports that I played to help my fielding.

 

We selling high quality sports equipments in an online sporting goods store. We value customer satisfaction highly and thus have placed a significant emphasize on the quality of goods we sell. We cater various sporting events such as cricket equipments, boxing gloves, carrom, chess set, shot put, athletic stores and rugby.

blogspot visitor counter